Saturday, December 15, 2012

70th Golden Globe Nominations

John Williams in the running for yet another award.  Legend.
To begin, as usual, I LOL @ the HFPA.  What a fascinating and entertaining little group they are - and boy, do they have their favourites.  The nominations this year are an interesting mix of surprises and disappointments, as usual.

Best Picture, Drama
Argo
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty

Django sneaking in here is a nice surprise, but it does have the Weinstein machine behind it.  Where is The Master, though?  It should be here.

Best Picture, Musical or Comedy
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Misérables
Moonrise Kindgom
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Silver Linings Playbook

Oh, bah hahahhaha.  Hahaha.  Sorry, that was just the sound of me laughing as I remembered how side-splittingly funny The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen were.  Obviously, this is ridiculous.  As I have said, TBEMH is an ok movie with nice performances but SFitY is actually so racist, it's offensive.  Not cool.

Best Director
Ben Affleck, Argo
Kathryn Bigelow, Zero Dark Thirty
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained

Yeah, cool list.  Oh Woah, wait a second...where is Tom Hooper (Les Misérables)?  I expect him to make the Oscars, so who will miss out from the above list?  This category is insane this year, which is exciting.

Best Actor, Musical or Comedy
Jack Black, Bernie
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Ewan McGregor, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Bill Murray, Hyde Park on Hudson

I really thought Tommy Lee Jones would be here for Hope Springs.  They nominated Meryl for it, so it's a bit mean to leave him out.  At least he got his Lincoln nomination in supporting.

Best Actress, Musical or Comedy
Emily Blunt, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Judi Dench, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Maggie Smith, Quartet
Meryl Streep, Hope Springs

I thought Leslie Mann would be here for sure for This is 40.  Jennifer Lawrence has this in the bag.

Best Actress, Drama
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Marian Cotillard, Rust and Bone
Helen Mirren, Hitchcock
Naomi Watts, The Impossible
Rachel Weisz, The Deep Blue Sea

Um, excuse me, where is Emmanuelle Riva for Amour?  Her shocking omission here is really sad - I still think she could make the Oscars, though.  I'm not giving up hope.

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, The Master
Sally Field, Lincoln
Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Nicole Kidman, The Paperboy

Nicole got a SAG nomination for The Paperboy, too.  It's a total surprise - but good on her.  I like that she takes chances and, you know what, I think she's excellent.  Good on her.

Best Supporting Actor

Alan Arkin, Argo
Leonardo DiCaprio, Django Unchained
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained

Major snub: Robert DeNiro in Silver Linings Playbook.  From memory, and I can't remember the details, he made a teeny-tiny rude remark about the HFPA a few years ago.  I bet they are punishing him.  Pfft.

Best Screenplay
Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty
Tony Kushner, Lincoln
David O’Russell, Silver Linings Playbook
Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained
Chris Terrio, Argo

Impressive.  I can't really complain about that list at all.

Foreign Language Film

Amour
A Royal Affair
The Intouchables
Kon-Tiki
Rust and Bone

I HATED The Intouchables.  It is racist, offensive, lowest-common-denominator drivel.  It truly is.  I can't believe people would consider it one of the best films of the year.  That is seriously outrageous.  Also, is Europe the only place where foreign films are being made now?  I think the HFPA need to see more films from around the world, especially if they are the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.  It wouldn't surprise me if these were the only five foreign films they actually saw this year, to be honest.  Having said that, Amour is a masterwork, so I'm glad it's up there.  If it doesn't win, I'd stay away from me for a few days.

Animated Feature
Brave
Frankenweenie
Hotel Transylvania
Rise of the Guardians
Wreck-It Ralph

I want to say that 2012 has been a weak year for animation.  I have only seen two of those 5, so I won't, but I will say that once I have had a chance to see the other 3.

Original Score
Mychael Danna, Life of Pi
Alexandre Desplat, Argo
Dario Marianelli, Anna Karenina
Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek & Reinhold Heil, Cloud Atlas
John Williams, Lincoln

The winner in this category is always a surprise.  I expect Dario Marianelli to win it this year, which means someone else probably will.

Original Song
'For You' from Act of Valor
Music and Lyrics by: Monty Powell & Keith Urban

'Not Running Anymore' from Stand Up Guys
Music and Lyrics by: Jon Bon Jovi

'Safe & Sound' from The Hunger Games
Music and Lyrics by Taylor Swift, John Paul White, Joy Williams & T Bone Burnett

'Skyfall' from Skyfall
Music and Lyrics by Adele & Paul Epworth

'Suddenly' from Les Misérables
Music by Claude-Michel Schonberg, Lyrcics by Herbert Kretzmer & Alain Boublil

Isn't that nice?  Nicole and Keith can both come to the HFPA party together?  As nominees!  Seriously though, I love the skyfall song.  I've added it below - enjoy.  Turn it up to 11.

Also, TV nominations are here, if you're interested.  Homeland, Mad Men, Girls, Modern Family, Breaking Bad, The Newsroom, Downton Abbey, Louie, Episodes...some good stuff on TV at the moment, I reckon.


3 comments:

  1. FYI I saw The Intouchables and I disagree with your assessment of it as racist and offensive. Sure it's a feel good and not exactly challenging - but racist an/or offensive it's not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat - I respectfully disagree. Without revealing spoilers, the very premise is offensive in the most basic and unbelievable way. Also, I found the stereotypes pretty hideous, too, especially through some of the revelations at the end. Not on.

      Delete
  2. I find the Golden Globes to be...weird. Every year.

    Anyways- I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty or Salmon Fishing in the Yemen yet, but mostly everything else.

    I'm not sure about Best Exotic being nominated next to Moonrise Kingdom. I absolutely loved MK, and I enjoyed Best Exotic. I thought that Best Exotic had 1 too many characters to flesh out. I obviously loved the cast though- the acting was superb.

    The director's category looks great (again, assuming Bigelow rocked it).

    I'm very pleased about Jack Black and Bradley Cooper. I've never seen Bradley Cooper flex his acting chops in a way that left me impressed, but Silver Linings Playbook was finally a great opportunity for him. Jack Black was wonderful in Bernie- what a fascinating movie and story. Being from the South, I felt like I KNEW him.

    I don't really understand Meryl Streep being nominated for Hope Springs. I mean, the movie was enjoyable enough, but I felt that she was just playing herself. I do love her, but I don't see how this part merits a major award. Jennifer Lawrence was a wonderful surprise.

    I love Helen Hunt and Amy Adams for best supporting actress. Amy won't win, but I really felt that The Master was a great show of her versatility. I was maybe underwhelmed with Sally Field in Lincoln. She did a fine job, but it didn't stick out to me.

    I TOTALLY AGREE about Robert DeNiro in SLP being snubbed. He was so excellent- I loved his character. There were so many subtle things he did that just hit it right on the nail for me.

    As for tv...I'm very invested in Homeland, Breaking Bad, Louie, Girls, Boardwalk Empire, and Downton Abbey. I was disappointed with Newsroom. Initially, I was just totally into it, and by the last couple of episodes, it felt like a chore to watch it. I love Jeff Daniels in it, but got pretty tired of the show.

    Thanks for posting! Sorry my comment got so long!!!!

    ReplyDelete