Thursday, December 13, 2012

SAG nominations 2012



I like the Screen Actors Guild Awards but I never really understand their 'Best Ensemble' prize. I really believe it is actually a 'best ensemble' prize, and not 'Best Picture' as some commentators will have you believe - there is a difference. Having said that, the actors are the biggest voting body in the Oscars, so movies that pop up at the SAG awards tend to be well-represented on Oscar night. There are exceptions, though. 2007 is particularly interesting.


2007 SAG Nominees for 'Best Ensemble'
American Gangster
Hairspray
Into the Wild
No Country for Old Men (winner)
3:10 to Yuma 


2007 Oscar Nominees for 'Best Picture'
Atonement
Juno
No Country for Old Men
Michael Clayton
There Will Be Blood 


So you'll see it doesn't always match. SAG also like 'light', so I'm not too worried about the completely ridiculous nominations for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I mean, seriously: What is wrong with people? Sure, I enjoyed the film (to a point), but these fantastic actors really didn't deliver the best work of the year. They can dish out performances like this in their sleep and they have all been better before. The material is pretty ridiculous when you think about it. Stereotypes everywhere. I could go on. In fact, I will.

19th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards(c) Nominations - Motion Pictures 

LEAD ACTOR
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
John Hawkes, The Sessions
Hugh Jackman, Les Misérables
Denzel Washington, Flight

Um, excuse me? Where is Jaoquin Pheonix? His performance in The Master is one of the best of the year. Dear SAG voters, did you not see The Master? Oh, that's right, you nominated Philip Seymour Hoffman so I know you've seen it. Awkward/Shame on you. John-Louie Trintignant from Amour should also be here, but that's probably wishful thinking. 

LEAD ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard, Rust and Bone
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Helen Mirren, Hitchcock
Naomi Watts, The Impossible

Emmanuelle Riva!!! Where are you? Amour - one of the best (if not the best) films of the year should really be represented here. I think Oscar voters will go for it. Quvenzhané Wallis in Beasts of the Southern Wild also isn't eligible for SAG and she could surprise on Oscar night, although I have my doubts. I'm looking forward to The Impossible. 

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alan Arkin, Argo
Javier Bardem, Skyfall
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

Brag: I predicted this line-up. It's pretty good. Nice to see some love for Skyfall, which is full of excellent performances. Watch out for Eddie Redmayne in Les Miserables, Dwight Henry in Beasts of the Southern Wild and Ewan McGregor in The Impossible to possibly spoil at the Oscars. 

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Sally Field, Lincoln
Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Nicole Kidman, The Paperboy
Maggie Smith, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Great to see Nicole Kidman surprise here but Lol@The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Smith was fine, don't get me wrong, but that slot belongs to her colleague in TBEMH, Judi Dench, for Skyfall. They liked Javier enough, so it's a bit rude not to nominate Judi Dench here. I'll put in good word for Amy Adams in The Master or Samantha Barks in Les Misérables, too. 

BEST ENSEMBLE (The Big One)
Argo
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Misérables
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel? Really? I saw this movie at the Bribie Island Twin Cinema - and that's where it should stay. It probably could run forever in places like that. And Hervey Bay. How do you say...it's going straight for a specific, undemanding audience. There is nothing wrong with that (Pixar movies do the same thing, although the audience is far more discerning), but it is not an 'awards' movie, I'm sorry. What should be here? Some polite suggestions: Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, The Master, The Sessions, Django Unchained, Skyfall...

Here is a photo of some lovely peeps (my mother and aunt) at the Bribie Island Twin Cinema - where The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel won the audience award for least demanding viewing. We were the youngest in the cinema by about 30 years and brought the average age down to 80-something. Not a joke. 
My actual favourite part of the Bribie Island Twin Cinema. This sign says it all, really. As you can see, it's very steep. I hope the delightful, cinema-going retirees can navigate their way up this exceptionally steep hill. Oh gosh, my fingers are indeed crossed. 
I knew I kept those photos handy for a reason. Anyway, Golden Globes nominations are tomorrow morning, right? Amour will turn up there, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment