Sunday, December 16, 2012

Being Alvin Ailey & Laurie Metcalf

Alvin Ailey - A Revelation.

The opportunity to see truly great art doesn't come along very often and when it does, oh boy, what a joy.  The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater is "dedicated to enriching the American modern dance heritage and preserving the uniqueness of the African-American cultural experience", and from what I sensed on Friday night, that couldn't be more true.  It was electric and I think the instantaneous standing ovation and cheering which closed the evening would support my statement.  Great art by great artists.



Three very different pieces were presented:
I - "Grace", choreographed by Ronald K. Brown
II - "Petite Mort", choreographed by Jiří Kylián
III - 'Revelations", choreographed by Alvin Ailey

From what I can gather, the first two 'movements' of the evening are both new works.  Brown's "Grace" is rigorous, colourful and highly-spirited while Kylián's "Petite Mort" is more classical, but never old-fashioned; in fact, many moments were quite humorous, although delicate.  It was all completely captivating.

The final work, "Revelations", is considered an 'Alvin Ailey classic' and is choreographed by Ailey himself.  The original premiere of this work was in 1960, so seeing it 52 years later is not only remarkable, but a great treat.  It is a profound piece of work and tonight's performance was accompanied by a live band and SATB choir.  Seriously goosebump-inducing and so joyous that I was almost moved to tears.  This is said to be one of the favourites of the performers (who, I have to say, were totally exquisite), and it is easy to see why.  The choreography is sublime.

It was a moving and electric evening of exquisite dance.

Some samples of each work below:

I - "Grace", choreographed by Ronald K. Brown
 

II - "Petite Mort", choreographed by Jiří Kylián

III - 'Revelations", choreographed by Alvin Ailey

Laurie Metcalf in The Other Place

This is a really smart play.  It had successful Off-Broadway and inter-state runs and now Manhattan Theatre Club have put it into the Samuel J. Friedman Theater as a Broadway production.  I was lucky enough to see the incredible Cynthia Nixon nail Wit last year in the same space and, while watching The Other Place, I was surprised by the similarities - minimal set, one single act, themes of isolation and ill-health, etc. - but above all, they both feature totally compelling lead actress performances.  Laurie Metcalf deserves a Tony nomination for her work here.

MTC is playing The Other Place in publicity as a 'thriller', but I really feel this cheapens the work.  In fact, I nearly didn't see this play because I thought it was a 'thriller'. I'm sure other people feel the same way.  I don't want to see a 'thriller' on Broadway.  Is that wrong?  If I want a 'thriller', I will watch Homeland or CSI: Boringville or whatever.  In fact, aside from Homeland, are there any good thrillers on TV? Is Homeland a thriller or a drama?

This is the same question I ask of Sharr White's 'The Other Place' and I have decided that it is a 'drama'.  As  such,  it totally succeeds.  It is a pretty sad tale about a family and their life falling apart in many ways.  Another question: Are crumbling families the 'new black' on Broadway?  Next to Normal, August: Osage County, Other Desert Cities, etc.  Who cares - it makes for compelling, often funny, storytelling. The 'thriller' part of the advertising obviously refer to the interesting non-linear structure and the many surprises that are revealed as the play unfolds.  I loved this aspect of the work, but not in a cheap 'thriller' kind-of way.  Don't most playwrights like to surprise the audience? - the best ones do.

MTC Preview - The Other Place by Sharr White

Laurie Metcalf is terrific.  As Juliana, she is strong, determined and there is a lovely confidence to her work.  The palette of White's script gives her many colours to play with and it she nails all of them.  Of the other cast members, Zoe Perry was the standout, particularly in the final scenes of the play.  Joe Mantello has infused the piece with good energy and pace, and Eugene Lee's clever, econominal set feels just right.

But really, they all support Metcalf and it works.  It is a 'thrilling' performance.

Oh Yeah?  Starbuck this.

Let's deal with it - you only get $20s and $50s when you make a withdrawal at an ATM.  I would like to be able to choose $10s and $5s, too, but you can't.  Let's just suck that right on up and move on.

A sincere thank you to the surly Starbucks man who found it so difficult to accept my $50 note today.  As I passed the $50 to him (and I apologised - 'sorry, this is all I have') he reacted as if I had told him that I ran over his pet kitten.  What is wrong with people?  You work at Starbucks, for crying out loud, and it wasn't even that busy.  Oh, I really appreciate that you gave me my change in $5 notes and quarters.  Please, I know there were $10s and $20s in the register - I looked.  Thank you so much for keeping those from me.  

Next time I see you, I am going to deliberately give you $100 and see how you cope with that.


What was I doing in Starbucks?  Purchasing an Egg Nog Latte, that's what.  The, like, best drink in the, like, whole entire world, like, ever.  Omnomnomnom or Ugglugglugglug.

No comments:

Post a Comment